This Pad Prik Khing dish is different from Pad Ped in which pad prik khing uses Prik Khing curry paste. In contrast, pad ped uses
red curry paste. Both dishes are very similar in presentation but not in aroma and taste. Pad prik khing has an aroma from
fresh kaffir lime leaves and ginger which indulges the appetite even more. The crunchiness and freshness from the long beans
not only help boost the color of the dish but also enhance the sense of texture. The warm steamed rice served with the hot and
spicy stir-fry is a quick and easy one-dish meal. Otherwise serving this dish in a communual meal is a fine choice that can
go with many other dishes.
- Clean and slice chicken into thinly sliced bite size pieces.
- Clean long beans. Cut into 1-1.5 inch pieces.
- Clean and pat dry kaffir lime leaves. Slice each leaf into very thinly sliced pieces, like a needle.
- Peel off ginger skin. Clean and pat dry. Shred the ginger.
- Heat oil in a pan. On medium-high heat, add prik khing curry paste in the pan. Stir fry until it turns fragrant, about
- Add ginger. Stir for about 1 minute.
- Add chicken. Stir frequently for about 4-5 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- Add long beans. Mix and stir well for about 1 minute.
- Add shredded kaffir lime leaves, sugar and fish sauce. Mix and stir well. Remove from heat.
- Serve on plate.
- Serving size: 2-3 persons.
- Chicken can be substituted with pork, squid or deep-fried catfish.
- Green beans can be substituted with long beans.
- To increase or reduce spiciness, add or lessen prik khing curry paste.
- Long beans should be crispy and not overcooked. If desired, increase the time to cook long beans to your liking.
- Lessen or omit shredded ginger, if desired.
- If desired, red curry paste can be substituted for prik khing curry paste. If red curry paste is used, it is recommended to
add shredded ginger.
- Each brand of curry paste has a different degree of saltiness. Depending on the amount of curry paste used, the amount of
sugar and fish sauce can be different. So add or lessen fish sauce and sugar accordingly and it is important to taste.
1 1/2 cups Chicken
1 1/2 cups Long beans
6-8 Kaffir lime leaves
3-5 tablespoons Prik khing curry paste
3/4 teaspoon Sugar
1 tablespoon Fish sauce
2 tablespoons Vegetable oil
1/4 cup Shredded ginger (Optional)