Kaeng Buat is a warm dessert consisting of 3 different kinds of vegetables - potatoes, taro and pumpkin. It is just a little
sweet, and because the vegetables are not heavily cooked they maintain much of their different textures. The vegetables give
the dessert a colorful look, and the coconut milk adds sweetness - some might be surprised how delicious the vegetables in
this dessert can be! This dessert can also be a lot of fun to prepare in cutting the vegetables into different shapes.
- Open the coconut cans. Place the water-like part in one bowl (about 4 cups) and the creamy part in another bowl (about 2 cups).
- Clean and cut pumpkin, taro and potatoes into bite size or different shapes. Drain and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix 2 cups of creamy coconut milk with salt. Set aside.
- In a pot, boil potatoes and taro in 4 cups of water-like coconut milk. Cook for about 7 minutes or until potatoes and taro start to cook,
add pumpkins into the pot. Cook for another 7 minutes or until cooked, add coconut palm sugar and sugar.
- Bring to boil. Turn off heat and pour creamy coconut, prepared in step 1. Stir.
- Serve warm.
- For a beautiful presentation and fun for kids, cut potatoes, taro and pumpkin into different shapes.
- Coconut palm sugar can be difficult to find - can substitute with sugar but will not get the aroma that coconut palm
sugar would give.
- Do not overcook pumpkin, taro and potato.
- For more sweetness, add 1-2 tablespoons or more of sugar.
6 cups Pumpkin, Taro and Potato (bite size)
2 cups Creamy coconut milk
4 cups Coconut milk (water-like)
2 tablespoons Sugar
1 cup Coconut palm sugar
1 teaspoon Salt